Sunday, August 6, 2017

Chilled Cantaloupe Soup with Preserved Lemon-Herb Salsa


Inspired by Chef Katherine Stern's Chilled Melon Soup at this weekend's Santa Cruz Pop-Up Breakfast - read about that event here - I made my own version. I love the juxtaposition of the salty preserved lemons and the sweet cantaloupe soup. 

I just happened to have a jar that I made earlier this summer - like these Preserved Lemons. Katherine used cucumbers. I used a lot of herbs. D told me that mine wasn't as good as the one at the breakfast. But, oh, well...she's a chef!


Ingredients
  • 2 C cantaloupe, peeled and cubed
  • 1 C chicken stock
  • 2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • sea salt to taste
  • 2 T chopped preserved lemon
  • 2 T chopped fresh herbs (I used mint, parsley, and cilantro)



Procedure
Place the cantaloupe, stock, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To make the garnish, mix the preserved lemon and herbs together in a bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.

To serve, pour soup into individual bowls or glasses. Top with preserved lemon mix and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons